Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Step Away From the iPhone...

In my last few blog entries, I’ve been sharing examples of people who have inspired me with their positive actions.  Well, I am not sure about the rest of you, but throughout my career I have also learned how to lead by watching individuals who have had what I would describe as questionable leadership skills.  Instead of criticizing and judging those people and their behaviors, I will simply point them out from time to time so that we can learn from them.  You can come to your own conclusions as to what you feel about them and whether they are good or bad.

My latest inspiration comes from two of my favorite things:  Starbucks and Apple (as in the company that turns everything to gold, Apple).  I visited my local Starbucks almost two weeks ago so that I could write my group dynamics paper.  Two younger students caught my attention, mainly because they were sitting right across from me.  They were studying for a science exam so I was naturally interested and drawn to what they were talking about (and clearly looking for a diversion from doing my own work).  As they were chatting and quizzing each other, I could not help but notice one of the girls’ constantly playing with her iPhone.  I am certain she picked her eyes up only a few times when she had to ask her partner to repeat what was just said.  What was equally intriguing was that her study partner did not seem to mind at all…it was kind of an accepted behavior!   Even when they were having a conversation, she kept her head down, focused on her iPhone. 

For a moment, I thought to myself, “Kids these days…they are too wrapped up in themselves and their technology…” I was appalled until I realized this is a common scene with me and many other leaders in the world today.  I looked around the Starbucks and everyone had some sort of technology they were “tied” to.  Then the insight came to me about what I could take away from these two young ladies.

So, what did I learn while sipping my Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks?

LIFE’S LITTLE LEADERSHIP LESSONS

1.    Being a leader takes work and you have to practice.  I took away something positive from these two young ladies.  While I was watching them study, it reminded me how important it is for leaders to continually develop themselves.  Leaders need to study their craft:  if you want to be a better leader, you need to study leadership and practice it.   Good leadership does not happen by chance, it happens on purpose.
2.    Leaders are always in the present.  Leaders make people feel special.  They do that by giving people their undivided attention.  Leaders do not allow themselves to get distracted by their PDAs or other stimuli in the environment.  When they spend time with people, leaders make them feel like they are the most important people in the world.  They do not think about the past or worry about the future; they live in the “here and now”.
3.    Leaders work together.   Leaders don’t know everything but are smart enough to know what they don’t know.  When leaders need help, they draw in other people for support.  Leaders return the favor: they share their knowledge with others in the spirit of helping others learn and develop.

APPLYING LIFE’S LITTLE LEADERSHIP LESSONS IN YOUR LIFE
  • What are you currently doing to make yourself an even more effective leader?  Make a promise to yourself that you will work on at least one thing this year to be an even more effective leader.
  • What pulls you out of the present at work?  At home?  How do you think people feel when you disengage while you are with them?  What will you now do differently?  How often do you make people (your loved ones or co-workers) feel like they are the most important people in the world? 

Children have neither past nor future; they enjoy the present, which very few of us do.  
~Jean de la Bruyere

No comments:

Post a Comment